Saturday, July 13, 2013

Raspberry Cream Cheese Croissants

Every Wednesday from late spring to early fall, my company hosts a farmers market for our employees. It's one of my favorite "perks" - I love being able to run down during the work day to buy farm-fresh produce, eggs, cheese, and meat (the farmers will keep things cold until you are ready to go home), freshly-cut flowers, and homemade kettle corn, salsas, and hot sauces.

The best part, though, is the artisan bakers who come each week. Cupcakes, donuts, and the bread - sour dough, sesame, baguettes, pumpernickel - you name it.

And then there are the chocolate croissants. Oh, my! They are enormous - buttery, flaky, and filled with just the right amount of semi-sweet chocolate. Admittedly, I've only had one of these beauties...in large part because I am too confident it could become a weekly indulgence. And as delightful as that would be, that is certainly not a habit I need to get into.

I don't usually make something sweet for breakfast. Mostly because I'm hungry too quickly after eating....even though I eat the majority of whatever I make since Brian doesn't often eat breakfast and doesn't have much of a sweet tooth.

But, I've had a tube of Crescent rolls in the fridge for a bit, leftover from the last time I made Antipasto Squares. Reminiscing about the wonderful bakery goodies at the farmers market, I decided  bake these up this morning with a little cream cheese and raspberry jam. What a treat!



Ingredients:
  • 1 tube Pillsbury crescent rolls
  • 1/4 C softened cream cheese
  • 2 tsp. powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
  • Scant 1/8 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 C jam of your choice
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
  3. Combine cream cheese, 2 tsp. powdered sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir to combine well.
  4. Unroll crescent rolls and separate into eight triangles.
  5. At the widest part of each triangle, spread 1 tsp. each cream cheese mixture then jam. Leave a 1/4 inch border at top and sides of triangle.
  6. Starting with long edge, roll loosely toward the pointed tip.
  7. Place crescent rolls on parchment lined baking sheet, point side down.
  8. Bake for 11 - 13 minutes, or until nicely browned.
  9. Allow to cool on pan for a few minutes, then move to serving tray or plate. Dust with additional powdered sugar. (FYI - pay particular attention to the direction and speed of any nearby ceiling fans before dusting with powdered sugar. Just sayin'.)
Spread each roll with a teaspoon each cream cheese mixture and jam.

Roll up and place on baking sheet, pointed tip down.
Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment