Monday, July 15, 2013

Same recipe, different ingredients - Ham, mushroom, and scallion quiche

I'm trying to be better about this blog thing. More recipes, more posts, more often. Better pictures (how am I supposed to shoot in natural light if it's dark by the time I get home from work and get dinner on the table, eh?). More followers (that's where you come in).

So, I've been reading a bunch of posts from bloggers and blogging experts - both self-proclaimed and bona fide. Some of what they say makes perfect sense. Be yourself: don't try to be funny - or an expert on French cooking - if you're not. Post your photos even if they aren't perfect (thank god). Post something. Anything. Credit your sources. Don't type "utilize" when "use" will do. (Oh, wait, that one's a hold over from my work life.)

Yesterday I read a blog entitled "Ten Important Things I've Learned About Blogging." And
number 3 on her list was: never blog about the same top[ic] twice!

At first, I figured she must know what's talking about, since the Food Network built an entire show around her now-famous blog.

Then I remembered: be yourself. I do sometimes make the same recipes over again, often with different ingredients. And it can change the end result, at the very least it's different and at most it's better.

Case in point: Had I followed the advice of that well-respected, much-read blogger, we never would have pulled this culinary piece of art out of the oven tonight. What works great in a brunch quiche may not be hearty enough for a dinner quiche.




I've posted about the perfect quiche recipe before. And it definitely bears repeating. I made it again tonight (Brian assembled, let's be fair) and this time used:
  • A 12-oz. ham dinner steak, medium diced
  • 8 oz. Cremini mushrooms, medium diced
  • 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced, using only white and light green parts
  • 1 1/2 C shredded Swiss cheese
The ham had been frozen prior, so it was pretty water logged. After sautéing the veggies in a little garlic olive oil and butter - maybe a tablespoon of each - I remove them, then tossed the ham in the hot pan. I sautéed it just until the extra water had cooked out.

It held together much better this time, after having quickly cooked out the moisture from the fillings. Will definitely keep that in mind in the future.

 
Moral of the story? I'll try not to bore you, but you just might see the same recipe on here twice...

No comments:

Post a Comment