Sunday, August 18, 2013

Black Bean, Corn and Edamame Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing

 A few years ago, I found an edamame salad that was so good, it became our "staple" contribution to any summer get together. I've since lost the recipe and now can't even really remember what was in it - besides edamame, of course.

While searching the web for something to make for a  cookout this weekend (besides baked beans, potato salad or southwest quinoa salad - my current "go-to" salads and side dishes), I came upon this recipe. I loved the idea of using fresh-off-the-cob corn and cilantro is one of my favorite herbs.

I added a little cumin and eliminated the sugar. The bag of edamame I found was a little more than one cup, and I may have gotten carried away with the lime juice. Regardless, the result was a fresh, crunchy salad that everyone enjoyed - one of our friends even asked to take some of the leftovers home.

Looks like I've found a new staple!




Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely diced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 cobs of corn, cooked, cooled, and corn cut from cob (about 2 cups)
  • 1 cup edamame, cooked and cooled
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained well
  • ½ cup red onion, diced
  • ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Method:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice, oils, garlic, and cumin. Whisk together.
  2. Add the corn, edamame, black beans, onion, and cilantro to the bowl. Toss to distribute dressing completely.
  3. Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight, to allow flavors to blend

1 comment:

  1. I have made this numerous times in the summer. Great to take to a potluck and not have to worry about a mayo based salad. we love to have this with BBQ!!!

    ReplyDelete