Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mushroom Orz-otto

After have seen all 10 of the Best Picture nominees in this year's Oscar race, Brian and I had a bet on who could pick the most winners in 18 catagories. In the end, we tied in five categories, neither of us picked the winner in another five, I picked three winners, and Brian picked five...another bet lost.  (When will I learn?!)

The winner got to pick any meal that the loser would make. I'm paying up today, and Brian picked Steakhouse Steaks with steamed asparagus. He didn't have a preference on another side, so I decided to make Mushroom Orz-otto, a rich, delicous, risotto-like dish that's much lighter than traditional risotto.

And, apparently, I'm a slow learner - this bet wasn't even paid off and I'm in the red again, this time thanks to Phil Mickelson's win. Unbelievable...



Mushroom Orz-otto
1 T butter, divided
1 T olive oil, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
10 oz. Cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 C orzo pasta - I used whole wheat
3 C chicken stock, warmed - I heat mine in the microwave
1 T finely minced fresh rosemary
1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Heat 1/2 T butter and 1/2 T olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic, and saute until translucent
  3. Add orzo and toss to coat. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
  4. Add 1 C chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium.
  5. Stir in rosemary.
  6. Continue to cook, stirring occassionally, and adding additional stock - 1/2 C at a time - until pasta is tender and has absorbed all stock.
  7. Meanwhile, in another saute pan, heat the remaining butter and oil over medium high heat. Saute mushrooms, then set aside. (You can probably saute the mushrooms with the onions and the garlic, but I don't like when my mushrooms become water-logged and chewy. I prefer to saute them separately, then fold them in at the end.)
  8. Remove from  heat and stir in mushrooms and parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Am I missing something from the recipe? Why is it called Mushroon Orz-otto...there are no mushrooms listed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you're confused! Sorry for the omission - I've added them to the recipe! Thanks for the catch!

    ReplyDelete