Sunday, February 27, 2011

And the Oscar goes to... (really!)

Sorry for the "premature publication" on my Oscar picks earlier in the week...

For the first time in many years, I've seen all of the movies up for best picture at tonight's Oscars. Not a small feat, since there are 10 of them this year! Given how expensive movies are now, I feel sort of vested in the awards, as I've done my fair share of supporting those involved.

We're sitting here watching the "Live From the Red Carpet" coverage on E and I figure I better get this posted before the awards begin.  Here are my picks...

**Updated Apr. 3 - we tied on 5, neither of us picked the winner in 5 catagories, I picked 3 winners, and Brian picked 5...another bet lost!

Best Picture - The King's Speech (tied)
Best Actor - Colin Firth in The King's Speech (tied)
Best Actress - Natalie Portman in Black Swan (I made this pick before I saw Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole - it's the only pick I'm not 100% sure of.) (tied - thank God I didn't change my vote!)
Best Supporting Actor - Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech (Brian)
Best Supporting Actress - Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit (Brian)
Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3 (tied)
Costume Design - Alice in Wonderland (Jen)
Directing - Black Swan (Brian)
Foreign Language Film - Biutiful (neither)
Music (Original Score) - 127 Hours (neither)
Music (Original Song) - We Belong Together from Toy Story 3 (Jen)
Visual Effects - Alice in Wonderland (Brian)
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Winter's Bone (neither)
Writing (Original Screenplay) - The King's Speech (tied)

I don't really know what these categories mean or how they are judged, but I made some picks anyway...

Cinematography - Inception (Jen)
Film Editing - Black Swan (neither)
Sound Editing - True Grit (Brian)
Sound Mixing - The King's Speech (neither)

I'd love to say I'll be up to see the awards as they are presented live, but after a fun-filled weekend on the Plum, I'm just hoping to stay awake 'til 8 p.m. tonight! Can't wait to read all about the winners in the morning. Hope it works out in my favor...dinner's riding on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment