Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Heart Day!

We were out with my brother, sister-in-law, and nieces a few weeks ago for dinner, and somehow the topic of Valentine's Day came up. I didn't catch the start of the conversation but my ears perked up when I heard Kelly deem it a "stupid" holiday. 
My not-so-feminist self was beyond pleased that my teenaged nieces haven't fallen for the commercially-driven hearts and cupids thing that is a big part of Valentine's Day. Or, worse still, the notion that Valentine's Day is a holiday created solely for women to demand things from the men they love and then be completely b*tchy if the gift isn't big, bright, sparkly, chocolately, or decadent enough...which seems to be the case surprisingly often if the women's magazines and TV ads are to be believed.
Not that all of that annoys me too much... ;-)
On the other hand, I have a confession to make: I love Valentine's Day! I can't wait to send cute cards and sweet treats to people I love - family, friends, kids, grownups, and yes, even my guy. I do it because it makes me feel good and because it's a great excuse to remind people that I care about them.

Here's to being caught up in all that is good about Valentine's Day!
How fortunate I am to have a long list of people to wish a Happy Valentine's Day...xo!

1 comment:

  1. I mustn't matter too much...my mailbox was empty! LOL!

    ReplyDelete