Monday, February 7, 2011

Game on!

Brian and I have been talking about making ribs for ages. I love the flavor of barbecue and my favorite is pulled pork; Brian has developed a taste for ribs. So, for our Super Bowl Sunday Funday, we invited his mom and dad over and decided to give barbecue ribs a try.

(I say "we" pretty euphemistically - I was definitely the sous chef for this meal.)

We went to Arnold's for the ribs and Brian spoke at length with one of the butchers about the best cut of meat and the best way to prepare them. We left with six pounds of spare ribs, freshly cut.

After speaking with the butcher and investigating different recipes online, this is how he prepared them...

First, a dry rub:
  • 3/4c. brown sugar
  • 4 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
  • 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
  • 4 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 4 tsp. garlic powder,
  • 4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne red pepper.
After rubbing spices in, place rack of ribs fat side up in a large disposable aluminum roasting pan.  Cover tightly with foil and marinate for 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300. Cook ribs covered in pan for 1.5 - 2 hours. Remove from oven, pour one bottle of the barbecue sause of your choice over the ribs, recover with foil, and roast for another 1.5 - 2 hours. Remove from oven, turn oven to broil, remove ribs from roasting pan and place on an aluminum-foil lined cookie sheet, and broil 10 - 15 minutes, or until caramelized. Watch closely so they do not burn!

The ribs were literally falling off the bone! In fact, as we moved them to a cutting board, some of the bones actually fell out...so delicious!  We each had 2 ribs and there were 4 large ribs leftover.

Brian's mom brough the most delicious cole slaw - soooo much better than the Boston Market variety I had considered buying!  Maybe if we ask nicely, she'll share the recipe with us...hint, hint...

My contribution to the feast were these Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits from another fun blog I've found. I've never eaten at Red Lobster, but if these gems are any indication of their food, I just might seek one out! I used the heart-healthy (aka low fat) Bisquick, fat free cheese, and fat free half and half. Anything made with Bisquick I've found to be heavy and dense - not so with these biscuits. They were fluffy and delicious. Blend just until all ingredients are combined - be careful not to over mix. I had one with soup tonight for dinner and it was almost as good as it was frest out of the oven.

We had a fun, finger-licking good time - great food, great company, and "my team" won the game!  Not a bad way to start the week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the biscuits! Your ribs sound great as well. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete