Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pick Up Artist

My friends often ask how I got into cooking, many assuming it must have been my mom. I usually answer that my mom taught me how to cook, but not what to cook, since I don't think she'd like many of foods I enjoy cooking and eating.

She did teach me how to cook, though. I remember how she'd let me pull my stool up to the counter and mix together anything I could find in the cabinet. I made some pretty gross looking concoctions, but she assured me someday I'd be a great cook! She knew how to change a recipe up depending on what you like, and she was especially good at what she called "pick up" suppers.

I think I'm pretty good at "pick up" meals, too, checking out what's in the fridge and cabinet and coming up with something that is quick and easy to prepare. Most times, they're also pretty tasty even if not gourmet. That's how this Spinach & Sausage Pasta came about - I had all the fixings for pizza but was too impatient to wait for it to bake. The solution? Make enough for one and toss it all with pasta!

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
sausage - hot or sweet, loose or removed from casing, about 6 oz.
2 - 3 T chicken stock
1 C fresh spinach
2 T reduced fat ricotta cheese
1/2 C dry pasta, cooked and drained - doesn't seem like a lot, but I use whole wheat and it is pretty hearty
  1. Warm oil in saute pan over medium heat.
  2. Saute onions and garlic until soft.
  3. Add sausage (I use hot turkey sausage) and cook until brown.
  4. Add chicken stock and cook 2 - 3 minutes or until hot.
  5. Stir in spinach and allow to wilt.
  6. Dollop cheese over sausage and veggie mixture.
  7. Sprinkle on hot, drained pasta.
  8. Stir to combine and serve hot.
I acknowledge this isn't the most appetizing-looking dish, but I implore you to reserve judgement until you've tried it! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment