Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lazy Pierogi

I love pierogi. I think potato and cheese is my favorite. (Of course I would love the pasta that is filled with potato!) Sauerkraut is good, too.

However, I've never cooked prepared pierogi at home and have never made them from scratch, which I understand is a labor of love. This lazy pierogi is equally loving, but with far less work. Satisfying, warm, and comforting...nice dish to nourish the soul. It made me wish Brian's Gramp was still living above Bri - I think he'd love it!


When Sue emailed us this recipe, she warned me that I would use every pot in the kitchen.
She was right! But it was pretty easy to put together after work on a week night.
Ingredients:
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sauerkraut
  • 1 box bow tie pasta (I'd only use half a box next time)
  • 2 sticks margarine
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. caraway seed
  • 1 kielbasa, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 low sodium beef bouillon cubes

Method:
  1. Drain sauerkraut, rinse in cold water. Put in saucepan and add enough water to just cover
    sauerkraut and simmer 30. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cooking liquid.
  3. At the same time, sauté onion in margarine until soft. (I found it was more like a braise than a sauté, because of the amount of margarine.) Add mushrooms and cook through. Stir in pepper and caraway seeds. Add kielbasa and combine well.
  4. Dissolve bouillon in reserved pasta water. Stir into onion mixture.
  5. Fold in drained sauerkraut and pasta. Mix well.
  6. Serve hot.
Source: SuSu

No comments:

Post a Comment