Wednesday, May 4, 2011

You Devil, You!

Whenever we see deviled eggs on a buffet or someone mentions them - and sometimes out of the clear blue - Brian insists, "Jimmy makes the best deviled eggs!"

As we were planning the menu for Sue's birthday party, I quickly realized that there was no rhyme nor reason to the apps we had chosen, no theme. It was some of Sue's favorites, some of ours. So I decided the least I could do was ensure we had a good balance of hot and cold apps. That's when I thought of deviled eggs. And just as quickly realized I had never made them!

I promised Jimmy a shout out if he would be so kind as to share his recipe. He graciously agreed, and so "the week of Sue" continues with...

Jimbo's Deviled Eggs
1 dozen hard boiled large eggs
4 T Hellman's mayonnaise
3 T French's yellow mustard
2 T sweet pickle relish
Freshly ground black pepper
  1. Split eggs the long way and remove yolks to a bowl.
  2. Rinse egg whites and place cut side down on paper towel to dry.
  3. Add mayo to yolks, and mash with a potato masher.
  4. Add the mustard to the yolks and mash some more. (At this point, Jimmy's recipe said to add additional mayo and mustard to taste, but I found these measurements to be perfect.)
  5. Add relish and pepper and mix with a fork.
  6. Dry egg whites with paper towel.
  7. Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white wells. Sprinkle with paprika.

They were so good that I didn't even get to the table before two disappeared!


2 comments:

  1. 1 - Where the heck are the other 14 egg halves?
    2 - A nice facy pipe bag end makes a decent design on the finished egg.
    3 - Keep them away from Poker or any other beast...the reppercussions are deadly and you are on your own to find the right Febreeze scent to neutralize the aftermath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - In the fridge! My pretty little egg dish only held 12 halves.
    2 - I tried piping them - it kept getting clogged and I was running out of time....so I resorted to two spoons.
    3 - Poker doesn't get people food, remember!?

    THANK YOU for sharing your recipe - they were a huge hit!!

    ReplyDelete