Monday, May 2, 2011

Spanakopita Cups

I am kind of ambivalent about my birthday: I don't go crazy for it, but nor does it really bother me. I like to celebrate, and once it's over, I'm good with that, too.

Sue - and I promise I am not telling tales out of school - absolutely l-o-v-e loves her birthday! We joke about April and May being the "Month of Sue," with her birthday, then Mother's Day, then her (and Kevin's) wedding anniversary. She takes it all in good fun (and I think she really does enjoy it!).

Therefore, in the spirit of Sue's birthday enthusiasm, I am declaring this week on Thyme Well Spent to be the "Week of Sue," with all the recipes we made for her party. Enjoy!

Spanakopita Cups
1 t olive oil
1/2 C chopped green onion
2 - 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 t fresh dill (or 1/2 t dried)
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed but not drained
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. crumbled feta
2 T Parmesan cheese
1 t black pepper
2 boxes (15 count each) frozen filo cups, thawed on counter 10 minutes
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Saute onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened. Stir in dill and cook one minute.
  3. Fold in undrained spinach and cook until liquid evaporates.
  4. Stir in cream cheese. Remove from heat and continue stirring to combine. Stir in feta, then Parmesan and pepper.
  5. Fill 30 filo cups and bake for 5 minutes until heated through.
These can be made ahead through step 4. Refrigerator until ready to bake. Adjust baking time accordingly, 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

There's no picture of these tasty bites because well, I forgot them. Put them in the oven. Someone turned the oven off. I kept checking them and couldn't figure out why they weren't getting warm. Finally turned the oven back on and by the time they came out, they were scarfed down before I could snap a picture. They are good - think the delectable spanakopita triangles you get in a Greek restaurant, only way easier to make!

1 comment:

  1. These sounds yummy...I'm going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete