Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dog-gone Good Biscuits

I cut this recipe out of a long-forgotten magazine years ago and they are always a huge hit with whatever four-legged friend I make them for. Brian and I made them for Bucca today and this is the thanks we got!



1 C whole wheat flour
1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C cornmeal
1/2 C dry powdered milk
1 T granulated sugar
1 tsp salt, optional (I never use salt in mine)
1/4 C peanut butter
1/2 C chicken stock
1 egg slightly beaten
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In large bowl, combine flours, cornmeal, powerdered milk, sugar and salt.
  3. With a pastry blender, cut in peanut butter until mixture is crumbly.
  4. Stir in chicken stock, beaten egg, and water, one tablespoon at a time*, until dough forms a ball.
  5. On lightly floured surface, knead dough for 2 - 3 minutes.
  6. Roll dough out to a 1/2-inch-thick circle.
  7. Using a 1 x 2 inch cookie cutter of your choice, cut out treats and place on ungreased baking sheet.
  8. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden. Coll on baking sheets on wire rack.
*Sometimes it takes a tablespoon, other times upwards of a 1/4C - and I think the difference is due to how much oil is in the peanut butter. I can usually tell pretty quickly that a tablespoon won't make a difference and can eyeball how much to add. I also use more chicken stock instead of water.

1 comment: