Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy "Birthday," Ginger!

I've had Ginger for a year today - B brought her home from the local animal shelter Christmas Eve, 2009.

A week before, I had to have my very elderly cat, Edith, put to sleep. I was very sad, and Smokey didn't know what to do with himself...and that made it all the more sad. (You can tell how thoughtful he is...!)



B and I had split up in the morning to finish last minute errands, and I remember texting and calling him as my day wound down, to see if he wanted lunch. He didn't answer or reply - very unusual, so I got lunch for myself and went home. I was watching TV when I  heard him come in the house and rustle around in the kitchen, then he came into the family room. He was acting weird, it seemed, but he said everything was fine when I asked him about it.

Then I realized that Bucca hadn't come into the family room with him - very unusual for our little shadow. A short while later, B left the room and returned almost immediately with one of those cardboard pet carriers you see that he sat on the hassock in front of me.

I remember very distinctly saying, "B - what have you done?!"

I opened the box and this beautiful, orange cat stared back at me. I cried, he cried...sweet! We let her out and she made herself to home, nosing around. She and Bucca made friends, and then she settled in on the little mat she had come home with.

We spent Christmas Eve with B's parents and had much discussion about what to name her...Cinnamon, Saffron, Noelle, Holly, Scarlett, Creamsicle...and we finally settled on Ginger.

As you can see, she has made herself quite to home, all over my home! She and Smokey are fast friends, and although she won't let you hold her, she loves to be patted and brushed.









Happy "birthday," sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment