Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Starve a fever, feed a cold

I don't know if there's any truth to that old saying, and I'm not even sure I got it right. I do know that I have been sick for over a week and B made shrimp scampi for dinner Sunday to cheer me up. My cold was well-fed and I felt a little bit better - success!

We adapted this recipe from Ina Garten's Linguine with Shrimp Scampi, but our version is different enough that I thought I'd write it out here.  We love strong flavors so this has a lot of garlic, lemon, parsley, and red pepper, but you can adjust the amounts to your liking. Shrimp cooks really quickly, so I make sure to have all the other ingredients prepared before I start to cook the shrimp.



Ingredients:
Olive oil
Kosher salt
1 pound whole wheat linguine
4 - 6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Ground black pepper
1/2 C chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Zest and juice of 3 lemons or to equal about 1/2 cup of juice
1 t hot red pepper flakes

Method:
  1. Cook pasta according to instructions, adding salt and oil to water. Reserve about a cup of pasta water before draining.
  2. Meanwhile, season shrimp with salt and black pepper.
  3. Warm a tablespoon or so of olive oil and the red pepper flakes in large saute pan over medium heat.
  4. Add the garlic to the saute pan and cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add shrimp to saute pan and cook until just pink, about 5 minutes.
  6. Remove saute pan from the heat and add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice.
  7. Toss the shrimp with the drained pasta. Because of the reduced amount of oil and lack of butter when cooking the shrimp, you may need to use some of the reserved pasta water to loosen up the pasta and shrimp.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment